Forty years of progressive leadership, sales management, administrative and operational
experience in the telecommunications industry. Strong background in planning, organizing, and directing the development and implementation of telecommunications initiatives.
2004 – 2008
Senior Director Business Development Capture Management for State and Local Government
This position has had the responsibility to direct the development of national support for the State, local, and educational market segment.
• Provide enterprise solutions bid development for enterprise opportunities.
• Develop segment strategic business plan for pre-sales technical resources nationally.
• Coordinated corporate level resources for marketing and communications efforts.
• Establish business development partner acquisition for enterprise opportunities.
• Developed and implemented opportunity assessment program for the State and local segment.
• Developed a new team to capture government consortium contracts (MiCTA).
Senior Director Government Sales for the West, Midwest and Southeast 2001 - 2004
• Provided executive management for sales in 32 states for the state and local government segment. This responsibility was for core products, IP services, enterprise solutions for the state and local segment.
• Responsible for national pre-sales technical support and business development activities including executive interface in national government associations.
INTERMEDIA COMMUNICATIONS 1996 - 2001
Vice President, Government Sales Division
Developed and built a government/public sector sales organization. Provided strategy development for successfully competing and retaining large government contracts. Provided executive leadership and customer-centered focus to deliver sales management, project management, and fulfillment services to key state customers. Final and chief negotiating executive on major contracts.
• Annual revenue retention responsibilities of $106 million. Developed strategic market plan and opportunity analysis for objective setting and division quota assignment.
• Established new contracts in Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, and New York.
• Increased sales from $30 million to $106 million 1997 to present, averaging over 21% growth each year.
• Established and manage regional offices. Recruited and hired over 40 multi-tiered staff. Supervise four regional directors. Zero attrition rate in sales staff in past three years.
• Led all company sales divisions in percent of plan performance 1997 to 2001. Achieved President’s Club and Circle of Excellence 1997 – 2000.
• Key member of cross-functional team to develop new compensation and incentive plans.
STATE OF GEORGIA, Atlanta, GA 1973 – 1996
Deputy Commissioner, Department of Administrative Services 1992 – 1996
Provided policy, planning, management, and leadership for state telecommunications services, including seven program directors and 285 employees with responsibility for $100 million in budget and corresponding revenue. Division provided services to all state agencies, colleges, universities, boards, authorities, and local governments throughout Georgia. Largest, most comprehensive program in any state during this period.
• Directed private ETN voice network through 44% growth to 1.8 million calls per month while consistently producing substantial cost savings to the division’s customer base.
• Originator of legislative initiative to establish distance learning and telemedicine programs in Georgia. Personally directed the design and implementation of 375 two-way interactive video classrooms and 57 telemedicine hospitals sites creating the world’s largest two-way interactive video network available today.
• Conceived and implemented a state radio paging system that is owned and operated by the State of Georgia providing service to 28,000 customers through 75 paging sites. Established rates significantly less than any commercial equivalent. Created voice processing product line which provides over 20,000 mailboxes, integrated voice response, and automated attendant in 15 cities.
• Managed 47% growth of telephone access lines while decreasing rates by 25% for 135,000 lines in 95 cities used by customers.
• Directed development of state wide trunked radio system. Obtained funding for $10 million pilot system for metropolitan Atlanta.
• Administered SNA legacy network with 35,000 terminals in every city and county in Georgia.
• Directed the establishment of a video production facility to produce training, product, and information tapes for state entities.
• Prime interface to the FCC, Georgia Public Service Commission, Georgia General Assembly and other regulatory bodies in representing the State of Georgia’s positions, including providing expert testimony when appropriate.
Administrative Deputy Commissioner, Department of Administrative Services 1979 – 1992
• Operational, planning and policy responsibilities for data processing, telecommunications and state purchasing.
• Named Georgia State Government Manager of the Year in 1988 by Governor Joe Frank Harris.
Director, Department of Administrative Services, Telecommunications Division 1977 – 1992
• Led organization during deregulation of the telecommunications industry. Initiated all efforts in establishing policy and procedures for competitively bidding all telecommunications services. Developed a new statewide digital network.
• Established telecommunications commission programs for state agencies which yielded $12 million annually. These programs included credit cards, inmate phones, and student calling services.
• Created statewide telephone maintenance organization for division’s customer base, saving state government $7 million.
Management Positions, Department of Administrative Services 1973 – 1977
Held positions of increasing responsibility including Operations Manager, Administrative Manager, and Telecommunications District Manager.
GENERAL TELEPHONE OF THE SOUTHEAST 1969 – 1973
Provided design and marketing services to customers throughout the State of Georgia.
Named Outstanding Sales Consultant in 1973
WADE HAMPTON VENDING COMPANY, Greenville, SC 1966 – 1969
Owned and operated vending company which held the Canada Dry franchise for Greenville and Spartanburg, SC.
Professional Courses and Seminars
University of Georgia
School of Continuing Education, Certified Public Manager Program
Forty years of training programs, including: sales, operations, administration, human resources, customer service, quality initiatives, and organization change techniques.
BOARDS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Association State Telecommunications Directors
Founding member, 1975
Southeast President, 1977
National Vice President, 1986
Chairman Joint Procurement Committee, 1988-1990
Member Strategic Planning Committee, 1995 – 1996
Corporate Affiliate Member 1996 – present
Lifetime Honorary Member 1996
National Association of State Information Resource Executives
Corporate Affiliate Member 1996 - present
State of Georgia – Information Technology Policy Council, 1994-1996
Georgia Center for Advanced Telecommunications Technology, 1992 – 1996
Atlanta Olympic Organizing Committee (AOC), 1990
Association Public Safety Communication Officers, 1974 – Present
Two term President, Georgia Chapter, 1977, 1978
Chairman National Telecommunications Management Committee, 1982
Member National Project 25 Steering Committee, 1994-1996
Southeastern Telecommunications Association
Georgia Telecommunication Association
Sprint Steering Committee
Vice Chairman, 1989
AT&T Customer Council, 1984- 1986
Georgia Correctional Industry Board, 1979-1980
Guest speaker ATM Forum, Washington, DC, 1994
Georgia Telephone Association, 1996 - 2002SUMMARY: